Friday, June 10, 2016

Zootopia (Spoiler Free) Thoughts


First off, let me just get the inevitable out the way: I ship it. I totally ship Judy and Nick.

Now that we've got the important stuff out the way, let's talk about the movie.
I have been wanting to see this movie ever since the trailers released. 
Unfortunately I didn't have anyone to go with me, and didn't really know how to drive well.

Yesterday (June 7), Zootopia finally released on DVD. 
I rented it from Google Play Store because I had some credit on my account.

It was fantastic. It's such a well depth movie that goes beyond just a children's movie.
Read on to hear my thoughts. No Spoilers!


Plot:

The overall plot of it was easy to follow, which makes sense since it is a kids movie after all.
However, it still goes more in depth than Sleeping Beauty did.
This isn't just a movie about coexistence, but about acceptance. 
That just because someone is a specific species and there are stereotypes attributed to it, then that does not mean that person is that stereotype.

Many of us have stereotypical traits. Taking me for example as a South Asian who comes from a culture that eats a lot of spicy food, I too indulge in spicy food.
 However, it's not the only type of food I eat. Spicy food does not define my existence, just as other stereotypes do not define others.

I think this movie tackled the issue of stereotyping and aspects of racism in a very well manner.
It's easy enough for children to follow along but a reminder to adults as well who watch the film.
Of course, this movie isn't a direct reflection of human history but you may get hints of it throughout the film


Characters:

I really loved the character development.
Like many children's movies the "bad" guy turns good. That's not really a spoiler considering this is a Disney kids movie.
But there is also a development for the supposed good guys.
You see the main character, Judy Hopps, make a mistake and see the backlash of it. She realizes her mistake and tries to fix it before she tries to fix the larger situation.

The development of seeing both supposed good and bad characters makes the statement that at the end of the day, everyone is still learning. That bad people (/animals?) can turn good with the help from the right people (or animals in this case).
That good characters are not immune to mistakes and just tiny ones either.

This movie does not reflect reality, but it can give hope to maybe someone who is a bully to change their ways. And, that someone who may be considered a "goody good" that making mistakes is okay as long as you admit and try to repair them.

Overall:

My overall thoughts is this is another wonderful addition of movies made by Disney.
If you're wanting to talk about the more difficult subject of bullying, racism, stereotyping,etc. This is the movie for that. It's a easy movie to watch with kids and it can lead into talking about more serious topics. It's also a good movie for adults to watch but also to remind us that this movie is simplifying a more complex issue.

Rating: A

Have you seen this movie, and what are your thoughts? What's your favorite Disney/Pixar movie?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Please do not spam the comment section. This means no advertisement to your own website.